Sunday 29 December 2013

Insurgent - Veronica Roth

This review may contain 'Divergent' spoilers.  Read at your own risk.


A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book

Heading off to Amity headquarters with Tobias and Caleb, Tris knows one thing.
The Divergent are not safe.


My Review

'Insurgent' was so different from 'Divergent' but somehow it matched its brilliance.  The plot was extremely detailed and clever and I could hardly put it down.

Roth has an amazing talent and reading 'Insurgent' had bubbles of emotion filling me.  I felt everything Tris felt.  I can't even believe how attached I grew to Tris across the novel.

The new characters were as good as the old ones and their development was excellent.  Even knowing more about them, I still loved them.  Nothing seems to be able to put me off these characters.  I don't care what they do.  I'm committed.

In 'Divergent' we gain an understanding of Abnegation, Dauntless and Erudite, leaving Amity and Candor behind somewhat.  But don't worry about that.  'Insurgent' gives you a full understanding of all the factions which still even after reading 'Divergent', fascinated me.

A few lines in 'Insurgent' were phenomenal.  They stuck with me and rendered me speechless.  Just another one of Roth's talents.

I was left awed and gasping for the finale - 'Allegiant'.


Evaluation

Plot - 9/10 - didn't enjoy quite as much as 'Divergent'.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 10/10 - I wanted more info on the factions and I got it.

Characters - 10/10 - new and old all excellent.

Style - 10/10 - I can't praise Roth enough.

Pace - 9/10 - Although fast paced, at times you had to trek.


Would I recommend it? - Yes, of course.  All readers of 'Divergent' have to give 'Insurgent' a try.

Would I look up the author? - Yes, if there was anything for me to look up.


'Insurgent', though not as good as 'Divergent' was still a blast to read.


Molly Looby

Author / Reviewer / Blogger / Editor / Movellian / Wrimo / ZA Ready

Email me here about books, writing, zombies, vampires, werewolves, Movellas, NaNoWriMo, teen fiction and all of that awesome stuff: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment