Tuesday 10 June 2014

0.4 - Mike Lancaster

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

'MY NAME IS KYLE STRAKER AND I DON'T EXIST ANY MORE.'

The Kyle Straker tapes have caused much controversy, are they a true account of a past world or are they just a hoax?


My Review

0.4 had a brilliant opening from the editor, who is really the author, Mike Lancaster.  The tapes are history and our author has simply written them up as prose.  This was an excellent approach that made me dive straight into the novel.

The terrible air of foreboding throughout the novel made me keep on reading.  I needed to know what had happened to the world because the world as Kyle was telling it was our world, so what had happened since?  I could hardly put it down.  The short chapters also added to this.  I read the entire thing in two days I believe.  I just couldn't stop reading it.  It was a very quick and engaging read.

The little notes all the way through explaining what reality TV and such like were to the reader, gave me a great impression of what the 'future' was like, even though the future is never talked about directly.  It was very clever.

0.4 made me think and wonder.  I have never read anything quite like this before.  It was a Sci-Fi I could get into as it wasn't too heavy and it was set in our own universe.  I know this review it short and a little lacking but what else can I say?  I really enjoyed this book!


Evaluation

Plot - 7/10 - kept me guessing

Way Plot Was Pursued - 10/10 - I've never read a book where the entire thing is a tape recording

Characters - 6/10 - they weren't anything special

Style - 10/10 - Kyle with his honest voice was the perfect narrator

Pace - 9/10 - almost too quick


Would I recommend it? - Yes, especially if you don't usually like Sci-Fi novels but want to give one a go.

Would I look up the author? - No, I loved 0.4 but it hasn't motivated me to look up Mike Lancaster.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor / Ghostwriter / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment