Tuesday 13 January 2015

Before I Go To Sleep - SJ Watson


Blurb

Memories define us.


So what if you lost yours every time you went to sleep?

Your name, your identity, your past, even the people you love - all forgotten overnight.

And the one person you trust may only be telling you half the story.


Welcome to Christine's life.




My Review


This book was recommended to me, which is the only reason I read it. I don't do thrillers, let alone adult books. But as I'd been told this was un-put-a-down-able, I had to read it. I can say I was both surprised by how much I enjoyed it and disappointed all at the same time.

Before I Go To Sleep had a very intriguing start. Of course, waking up and having no idea why you're in your forties and not your twenties was going to be a winner of a beginning. I wanted to keep on reading and find out more - as much as I could - about what had happened and what was going to happen next. I couldn't stop in fact.

However, after a while it felt as though I was reading and reading but not getting anywhere. It felt really repetitious even though Watson was careful not to repeat anything that was exactly the same. But I didn't know if the general feeling of repetition was indented.

Once it got to the end though, I couldn't put it down again. I read and read and read and finished it. Incredible. The ending was spectacular and perfect. There just seemed to be a slump in the middle.

The book in general was very intelligent and well written I just don't like the way adult books are. I didn't realise how much I love my teenage protagonists until I got a few pages in. I love in YA that the protagonist has an internal struggle, battling with who they think they are, who they want to be, and what they can achieve. A sort of personality debate as it goes through. The best example is probably Divergent because Tris realises that above all, she wants to be brave. Although in Before I Go To Sleep Christine was working out who she was, there was no concern about who she wanted to be. She seemed quite content to be whoever she was. There's nothing wrong with this, I just like it when characters are concerned with who they are.

In fact, nothing at all was wrong with this novel, it was just my personal taste.


Evaluation



Overall 8/10



Would I recommend it? Yes. Especially if you're into thrillers.


Would I look up the author? No. The writing style didn't grip me enough.



Before I Go To Sleep was an excellent read, though not exactly to my taste.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment