Saturday 18 July 2015

A Classical Education - Caroline Taggart

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Want to learn a little more about the Classical world in a book that's light and entertaining? A Classical Education is the book for you.


My Review

It's no great secret that I love the ancient world. So when my dad showed me this book a couple of years ago I had to have it. Though I didn't read it because I felt I was too close to my A' level Classic exam and I didn't want to confuse myself. So two years later and I've finally forgotten enough of my course to read this book. Plus the book I'd just put down (Dinner with a Vampire) irritated me so much that I was grabbing for a non-fiction book without giving my fiction ones so much as a glance.

The most important thing you need to know about this book is that as well as being educational, as the title suggests, it made me laugh. From the first page actually. It's not often I laugh aloud at books but I laughed all the way through this. This was exactly my type of humour and I didn't want to put it down.

It was so much fun having a reunion with my love of Classics which I'd been neglecting for too long. Having studied it at A' level, there was a lot in this book I already knew or had at least heard about. But that didn't stop me from learning a few things even though this is a beginner's book.

There's nothing much else I can say! It was so entertaining I read it in three sittings!


Evaluation

Overall 8/10

Would I recommend it? Yes. If you're into Classics of course.

Would I look up the author? No. This was just a non-fiction holiday for me.


A Classical Education is a light and entertaining way to learn about the ancient world.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment