Sunday 23 August 2015

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Colin has loved and lost nineteen Katherines and his best friend Hassan decides they need to go on a road trip. What ensues is funny, thoughtful and heart-warming.


My Review

As readers of this blog will already know, I am a total sucker for John Green. I'm sorry but I just am. I think he's a genius. Having said that, although I loved 'Katherines' it is my least favourite of his books so far.

First, I was surprised to find it written in the third person. I must admit, I was disappointed. However, it made sense for the character of Colin and it was still written beautifully.

Other than that I can't pinpoint why exactly this one is my least favourite. (I've read all of Green's books so far except 'Will Grason, Will Grason'.) It still had all the terrific Green qualities I know and love. For example, the characters were so loveable I could just be with them all day. Especially Hassan. He was by far my favourite.

I also loved the random approach this seemed to be written in. A totally Colin decision that made it immensely readable. I found the facts fascinating and the insights into human behaviour hilarious.

As per my love of Green, I read half in one sitting and the whole book in a day and a half. I just didn't want to stop reading for anything or anyone.

It was heart-warming, intelligent and funny - the kind of story that stays with you forever. It made me feel good and right and human.


Evaluation

Overall 9/10 - lucky me, the last six books I've read haven't been lower than an 8

Would I recommend it? Yes, without a doubt.

Would I look up the author? Yes but I don't have to.


'An Abundance of Katherines' made me feel good and right and human.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment