Friday 27 September 2013

More Than This - Patrick Ness

A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book
A boy drowns.  He dies.  And then he wakes up.
My Review
I adored ‘More Than This’.  If ever there was a book to make you think, this is it.
You are immediately thrust into ‘More Than This’, Ness escaping that awkward getting to know what’s going on phase and plunging the reader straight into the action.  I loved how anonymous ‘the boy’ was, the possibility that it could be anyone.  The realisation that it didn’t matter who he was.  I was amazed that even though I knew almost nothing about the boy, I could still care about him as a character. 
The scattering of memories across the novel is extremely effective as it allows us to never know too much or too little.  Not to mention that the memories are always relevant and always add something to the story immediately.  But what more had I expected from the creator of the phenomenal ‘Chaos Walking’ trilogy?
As the novel continued, I read at any given opportunity just so I could find out more about the boy and this place he’d woken up in.  I had to know more.  There’s an air of mystery surrounding ‘More Than This’ which just further adds to the feeling that you need to keep turning the pages and ask ‘What’s next?  What’s next?’.  This makes it near impossible to put down.
Ness creates an unnerving atmosphere that made me huddle close to the pages and fully immerse myself there.  At times I was blown away by the beautiful description and the way he phrases certain things to really make you stop and think.  Interesting observations of human thoughts and behaviours grow deeper and deeper as you read the novel until you feel cleansed by its conclusion.
As always, I was awestruck by Ness’s pace.  I know of no other writer who uses a dash to such monumental effect.  The chapters are short, making it so easy to pick up and yet impossible to put down.  At times I felt my heart pounding as I was reading as though I was there.  The pace was perfect.
The only possible criticism I could have for ‘More Than This’ is that I felt one too many adverbs were used.  This is because they jump out at me on the page because of my hatred for them and I didn’t think they were all needed.
Evaluation
Plot Idea - 10/10 - Waking up from death is always a fascinating concept.
Way Plot Was Pursued - 10/10 - I never expected where 'More Than This' went.  It shocked me multiple times.
Characters - 10/10 - Perfectly rounded and loveable.  Ness's characters always feel real.
Style - 9/10 - I love Ness's style, I had to mark it down one for the adverbs though.
Pace - 10/10 - Always the perfect pace.
Would I recommend it? - Yes.  Unlike most books, I will recommend this book to everyone, everywhere.
Would I look up the author? - Yes, although I really don't have to.  If you haven't read Ness's 'Chaos Walking' trilogy - you should.
Patrick Ness truly is the master of his craft.

Is there an author you're just crazy about?  Let me know.
Molly Looby
Author / Wrimo / Reviewer / Editor / Writing Coach / ZA Ready
Contact me about writing, books, vampires, zombies, werewolves and the like here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment