Monday 6 January 2014

Allegiant - Veronica Roth

'Divergent' and 'Insurgent' spoilers ahead.  Tread carefully.



A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book



The Edith Prior video only exacerbates the factionless/faction conflict.  But now they know that the Divergent have a mission.

Tris and Tobias have to search for their destiny beyond the city walls.


My Review

'Allegiant' for all its hype and buzz, started way too slowly.  I wanted to dive right in and search for the people outside the fence but no, there was a bit of stuff I had to get through first.  Stuff if I'm honest, I didn't quite see the point of.

Tobias's point of view threw me a bit.  At first I didn't like it at all.  It was really difficult to get used to.  I liked the way Tris saw him much more than the way he saw himself.  But of course I did love learning more about him.  Seeing Tris through his eyes was interesting too, it gave her a different edge.

The information flow was just right and I applaud Roth for this as there was so much for me to understand and wrap my head abound.  The pacing of the chapters was perfect as was the development of old and new character as usual.

If you've read 'Divergent' and 'Insurgent' you know how fond Roth is of killing off characters once they've served their purpose.  Well . . . prepare yourself.  I had many broken heart moments during 'Allegiant' where I went "No.  Well that can't happen."  But sometimes these are the best bits.

I cried multiple times during 'Allegiant' and again when I shut the book.  The trilogy only occupied a few months of my life which is such a small amount for a trilogy.  I'm sad I caught it right at the end but then again glad because I know the hype is just beginning.  I sped through all three, wishing I'd savoured the pages.



Evaluation


Plot - 9/10 - Still couldn't top 'Divergent' but I don't think anything can.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 9/10 - Liked where we ended up and how it all went.

Characters - 10/10 - I loved them all.

Style - 9/10 - Unsure about Tobias's point of view.

Pace - 8/10 - It started way too slow for a huge finale of a trilogy.


Would I recommend it? - Yes.  If you've got this far you don't have a choice but to finish the trilogy.


Would I look up the author? - Yes.  I can't wait till Roth writes more.  I'm even going to look into the little stories from Tobias's point of view from earlier in the trilogy.



Well, the 'Divergent' trilogy is over.  What a ride it was.


Molly Looby
Author / Reviewer / Blogger / Editor / Movellain / Wrimo / ZA Ready

Contact me about cool stuff here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Nice review.

    But I really thought you were going to talk about Uriah's death because it was HORRIBLE. It was the worst part of the book.
    And also about the ending how Tobias spread the ashes. (I was CRYING then)

    But I really like your review :) I agree, what a ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I didn't want to go into too much detail at the time because the book hadn't been out that long and I didn't want people to have unexpected spoilers.

      Delete