Tuesday 14 January 2014

Pandemonium - Lauren Oliver

This is the sequel to 'Delirium' so if you haven't read 'Delirium' and you plan to I wouldn't read on past here.  This review doesn't have spoilers from 'Pandemonium' though.


A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book

After escaping Portland, Lena must live in the Wilds and learn fast how to make a life there.  But how can she do that without the reason she escaped in the first place?  How can she do that without Alex?


My Review

If you've read my review of 'Delirium' you'll know just how much I adored it, the whole idea that love was a disease was fascinating.  But 'Pandemonium' wasn't about that.  It was about a group who didn't believe in the disease or the cure and who wanted to fight for love.

'Pandemonium' was such a disappointment as I loved 'Delirium' so much.

In comparison, 'Pandemonium' felt very slow.  I didn't know where it was going but I wasn't hooked so I had to make myself read it, which is never a good thing.  Also, as it went on I found that I didn't like where it was going anyway.

But it wasn't all bad.  I liked the separation between 'Now' and 'Then' and the way that shaped the story with the back and forth between them.  I liked learning about how they lived in the Wilds and how different it was there.  Also, little things surprised me and as in 'Delirium', Oliver included some beautiful phrases.

The new characters were great.  I connected with them and wanted to know more about them but that didn't mean they could compare to the characters we left behind in 'Delirium'.  I spent a lot of 'Pandemonium' pining for the old characters as much as Lena was.  Or perhaps that was the point.

The twist at the end in my opinion, was so predictable.  I knew  it was coming through most of the book.  I don't think that's a negative on Oliver's part as it wasn't hinted at too much or anything.  It was just one of those things that had to happen and I was very aware of that.


Evaluation


Plot - 6/10 - The plot wasn't really gripping enough for my liking.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 7/10 - I liked the 'Then' and 'Now'.

Characters - 7/10 - Not as loveable as the characters in 'Delirium'.

Style - 7/10 - Oliver's style is beautiful but I wanted more action.

Plot - 6/10 - It started slow and seemed slow most of the way through.  I expected something to speed it up and it didn't.


Would I recommend it? - No.  To feel the real power behind 'Delirium' it's probably best not to read 'Pandemonium' if like me you need a faster pace and more urgency in a novel.

Would I look up the author? - Yes.  I'm still interested in Oliver's 'Before I Fall' and look forward to reading it at some point.


'Pandemonium' was okay.  I doubted anything could top 'Delirium' anyway.


Molly Looby
Author / Reviewer / Blogger / Editor / Movellian / Wrimo / ZA Ready

Contact me about reading, writing, books and anything here:  molly.looby@homail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment