Tuesday 4 November 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 Post #2


Yes, it's that time again and it's safe to say I've gone NaNoMental or NaNoPumped as I keep writing on Movellas

Right now I'm on 10,538 words.

Let's talk about the first three days and not include today because without today the stats are pretty shocking. So on day three this year I had written 4,400 words more than I had last year. That's two and a half day's worth more in NaNo speak, one day being 1,667 words. How crazy is that? The craziest part of it is that I started off on day three with 5,250. Yep, I wrote 5,288 words in one day, doubling my word count. That's only 500 short of everything I'd written for ZA on day three back in 2011 - but I was a NaNo novice then. Now I am a master and I'm three days ahead already.

You want to know why I decided to double my word count on day three? 1: Because I could. 2: Because I wanted to see if I could write that much in one day (I have written more in a day before - somewhere around 6,000 is my record - but only ever to finish a novel). 3: And this is the most important, I wanted to get myself back in the race.

On Movellas, my favourite writing site, me and two others decided to host a NaNoWriMo Race where the Wrimos on Movellas would write as fast as possible to see who can reach 50,000 words first. Now it occurred to me yesterday that there were a lot of people reaching the 10,000 mark.

I wanted to be one of those people too. After all, if you don't play to win why are you playing?

So I decided in the almost three hours until my boyfriend got back from work, I was going to write another 2,500 words to make my total 10,000. Then I decided I wanted to make it 10,500 so I could say I doubled my word count. After turning off my internet, giving myself a pep talk, flinging my phone away from reaching distance and writing like a maniac, I did it. When I ticked over to 10,500 I could've cried.

For a visual representation of how far I came yesterday, here's what my word counts looked on day three for the previous three years:

2011 - ZA                                                             - 5,700
2012 - I Dare You                                                - 7,840
2013 - Just a Pair of Abominations/Fire and Ice  - 6,132

Yeah. It's shaping up to be a pretty good year so far, though I've still got a lot of work to do if I want to reach 50,000 first, but that's my kind of challenge.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the month brings!

Here's my donation page if you want to make the world a more creative place.
Here's a link to my NaNoWriMo profile if you want to buddy up.

Here's to day four and a crate full of words.

Molly Looby
Wrimo

No comments:

Post a Comment