Tuesday 3 February 2015

Kiss of Life - Daniel Waters

Kiss of Life is the sequel to Generation Dead, so if you plan to read Generation Dead do not read this review because it'll spoil parts of book one for you. You've been warned.


A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Adam's back and with that brings a whole host of problems. Not only has Phoebe got to work out how she feels about it all, she's got Pete's trial, Undead Studies and Tommy to worry about.


My Review

I didn't enjoy Kiss of Life quiet as much as Generation Dead, probably because the novelty had worn off. The characters didn't feel like old friends and some of them were starting to irritate me. Especially Pete. Usually, I love the antagonists. I love hating them and loving them. Pete had nothing going for him. I didn't feel sorry for him like I did in Generation Dead, I was just angered by his continued existence. I almost started to skip his sections entirely, though I couldn't because of the plot of course.

The first chapter though, did a good job of thrusting me back into the story and making me want to read on. Adam's struggles really made my heart ache and he was my favourite character this time around. I was always rooting for him and what he wanted, not Phoebe, the protagonist.

Unfortunately it went downhill from there because I got bored half way through. I saw where the plot was going and where we were going to end up but it seemed to take ages to get there. This book didn't have to be 400 pages long. It was dragged out way too far. I wanted a real conclusion I knew I wasn't going to get because there's still one more in the trilogy, Passing Strange, that I'm probably never going to be motivated to read because this one wasn't exciting enough.

One last thing, I found a pretty huge typo. The text said, "Tommy said" when in fact Pete was talking. I don't think there could've been a bigger mistake. Pete and Tommy are nothing alike and are on the opposite sides entirely. I just cannot believe that wasn't noticed by somebody! It's a huge unforgivable mistake to make. The two characters hadn't interacted for the whole book. Pete was talking about Tommy but that does not excuse the mistake. I was just speechless when I saw it.


Evaluation

Overall 6/10

Would I recommend it? No. The first one was good because it was new but familiar. This one didn't have that.

Would I look up the author? No. I wasn't blow away. My reading pile's big enough!


Kiss of Life was a mediocre sequel.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment