Friday 8 November 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Post #4

Today I feel confident.  Today is the first day I have felt like I can do this.  After the pep talk that made it clear that discipline was more important than inspiration, I've been so determined.  For the two hours this morning my internet was turned off (mostly) and I made myself sit still and just get words on paper.  And I've already done my words for today.  Today the words have come easier than any of the other days so far.  Maybe for me the weeks have been reversed.  Week one is supposed to be easier than week two but it seems that already week two is treating me right.  Good for you, week two.

I hit 15,000 words and feel pretty good about it.  My word count as of this second is: 16,582.  For those of you who don't take part in this crazy task by the eighth you should have reached 13,333 words to be on track for 50,000 by the end of November 30th.  I'm only 84 words away from being two days ahead!

So in celebration of my current success I'm going to tell you a little about my story!  I know!  I've never really done that before!  I'm a little frightened.  Well . . . here we go.

This novel takes place in a universe that isn't our own.  The characters are human for all intents and purposes but with one major difference.  They are split into two races.

The Shards.

The Flares.

So this is essentially my old idea of fire and ice back when I thought about 'Phoenix Feathers'.  And for those of you who haven't read my blog post on that, it was my first ever novel idea, a few months before my first novel I actually wrote, 'Mattie'.  So in 'Phoenix Feathers' these girls could turn into phoenixes and their natural enemies were the ice dragons.  I only wrote one chapter.

Two years later, I picked up the idea, liking the opposite nature of fire and ice and wanting to write about them again.  Different characters, different plot.  They could still turn into these things but it was more about the fact they hated each other.  I wrote about eight chapters I think.

So now, two years again - I think - and the idea has changed.  This time the characters are the same as the second attempt but now they can't turn into dragons or phoenixes, they just hate each other.  And now there are no normal humans in the universe, just Shards and Flames (because they're much cooler names than fire or ice)

Explaining that to you is actually encouraging as it shows me how much the idea has grown which is an exceptionally good sign as 'I Dare You' went through a similar process and is without a doubt the best thing I've ever written (in my opinion).

I think that's about it for now.  I don't want to give stuff away too fast.  Instead, here are my favourite quotes of the week (today included).

Ash - "My favourite part about living alone was that I didn't feel as though I had to withhold that wild side of myself for the benefit of the group."

Cerulean - "I'd never thought about my first kiss much before.  But I never anticipated I wouldn't have wanted it to happen."

Ember - "And then we all lived happily ever after, what's your point?"

Azure - "I just always assumed we'd just ignore each other and then die peacefully in our sleep."

Bring on week two.

Molly Looby

Author / Wrimo / Movellian / Editor / Reviewer / Writing Coach / ZA Ready

Contact me about all the writing stuff and whatnot here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment