Monday 1 February 2016

The Third Door - Stephen Lyden

Blurb (as I have no way of explaining this book without confusing myself!)

I died. Now I live. But I live within the boundaries of my head. What happens on the outside is beyond my control.


My Review

First of all congratulations are in order to Parsavagely, one of my Movellas friends, on the publishing of your first book!

The prologue is thoughtful and deep and already has you questioning concepts such as life and death as you are thrown into the narrative. Now readers of this blog will know that I don't like prologues but I found this one interesting, perhaps because it felt more like an introduction than a prologue.

After the first chapter, I was intrigued by where the story was going and I kept reading on and on. There seemed to be so many parts to this puzzle and I wanted to keep reading to try and figure out what was going on. However, I couldn't honestly say I knew what was going on until a few chapters in and then I couldn't imagine how the book could end. I think it shows talent when I can only guess parts of the ending beforehand.

I wanted a little more dialogue and to truly feel some more emotion. Don't get me wrong, those things were there but I just wanted a little bit more. I always love to be thrown so completely into a book that I live there and I felt I needed a little more emotion from the protagonist in order to get there.

The best thing about The Third Door was definitely the thoughts that were explored. I've never read a book quite like this before and that's a real achievement. I was left with a sense of melancholy that I felt fit perfectly with what Lyden was trying to achieve.



Evaluation

Overall 6/10

Would I recommend it? Yes - if you want to read something quite bizarre and different.

Would I look up the author? Yes - to see what other intriguing works he's written/ working on.


The Third Door was filled with melancholy and intrigue.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment