Monday 4 November 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013 Post #3

Although this is my third NaNoWriMo post, this is the first one during NaNoWriMo.  It has begun.

I was in Spain during the 1st and the 2nd of November and found it surprisingly stress-free to hand write my words for each day.  I hit my target of 2,000 (I need those extra 300-400 words a day to keep away from the exact word count.  I have to be ahead!) both days without much hassle.  My friend helped me work out where was best to start and then I was off.

Counting it up at the end of each page so I didn't have to do it all in one go though, was very irritating.

The real challenge was yesterday, the 3rd.  I arrived home late on the 2nd and unpacked everything but that was just the very beginning of my list of stuff to do.  I read three books on holiday meaning I had three more reviews to write (which I still haven't done - they're coming, just slowly, it is WriMo after all) to add to the two that are still unwritten from before I left.  So now my reviews to write are totalling five - the most I've had to write since I decided to do them.  I also read through the beginning of the novel I finished in October and have a few changes to make to it before the big print out.  I had to put my holiday photos on my laptop and send them to my friend.  I had to sort out my word count on NaNoWriMo.org.

I had to write this blog post.  I wanted to track my progress so that's what I'm going to do.

I had to write up my words from holiday.  (This is coming along in bits and pieces which makes it even worse trying to work out my word count).

I had to do my words for that day.  And today I have to do my words for the 4th.

It's strange how I thought this year would be easiest.  Last year I had work on Friday nights, Sixth Form on the weekdays and tons of homework to do in my spare time and I still got it done.  This year I've got none of that going on.  I go to the lovely writing community - Movellas www.movellas.com - where I intern on Tuesdays and Thursdays but that's it.  And there I write a lot on my train journey into London.

This shouldn't be so hard.

I think it's getting into the swing of things that's the trouble here.  Being in Spain and having some stuff to sort out now I'm back means I haven't had a very good writing routine.

But I am a very driven person.  I would go as far as saying I'm scared of failure.  So that means I will write 2,000 words every day regardless.  Because I will not admit defeat.

I'm coming to get you, Wrimo.

Molly Looby

Author / Wrimo / Editor / Reviewer / Writing Coach / ZA Ready

No comments:

Post a Comment