Wednesday 10 June 2015

Teardrop - Lauren Kate

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

I'm not sure I'm qualified enough to tell you about a book I read 40 pages of. (Plus my copy doesn't have a blurb so . . . )


My Review

I didn't like this book. That's being kind. But I'll start at the beginning.

I was already wary when I picked up Teardrop (which was given to me) because I wasn't a fan of Fallen, Kate's most famous book. I was afraid Teardrop was going to have all the problems Fallen had.

And I was right.

The only positive thing I have to say about Teardrop is that I liked the prologue which is bizarre for me because I usually hate prologues. Prologues are - the vast majority of the time - a waste of paper. The story should start and we can learn information later, at least, that's my take on them. This was still true of the Teardrop prologue but it had me hooked and turning pages. Until I met Eurkea.

Before I move on to that, I have a question about YAs and therapists. Why do the protagonists always hate their therapists? I get that some people do but some people also like them because they're good people and they're trying to help. Eureka might not be that person but surely someone writing YA can have a helpful therapist for once?

Anyway . . . chapter one seemed to drag on and on and it had nothing to interest me with. Also, I found certain bits of description and thoughts stupid. This can be said of Eureka who I hated almost instantly. Of course she's been through a lot (that's a trend in YA) but she could be less of a brat. I didn't like her attitude. I didn't like her self-destructiveness. I didn't like her name. She seemed like a walking stereotype to me.

In fact, I was so displeased with chapter one, I gave Kate one more chapter to redeem herself before I put Teardrop down forever. I'm not wasting my time with skimming books any more. I'm going to start putting them down.

Needless to say, I put it down. This is the end of me reading bad books all the way to the end because I feel like I 'have to'. Never again!

Teardrop lives in its very own list at the bottom right: DID NOT FINISH

Evaluation

Overall 1/10 - has to be

Would I recommend it? No. How can I when I could barely stomach 40 pages?

Would I look up the author? No. I've now picked up two Kate books I've disliked. I will not be picking up any more.


I couldn't even reach the end of Teardrop and I don't know how anyone could.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment