Tuesday 27 October 2015

Sinner - Maggie Stiefvater

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Sinner is a companion to the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (Shiver, Linger, Forever), which I loved. But this is even more exciting because it's featuring the two characters I loved the most: Cole and Isabel.


My Review


I cannot express how excited I was when I discovered this book existed. Just Cole and Isabel? Perfection! Don't get me wrong, I liked Sam and Grace (the protagonists in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy) but not nearly as much as I adored Cole and Isabel. If anyone's read the GONE series by Michael Grant and fallen in love with Caine and Diana, this is exactly the same kind of disastrous relationship.

However, saying all this, I was worried that I'd been away from these characters too long and would get confused by mention of previous plot. It was two years ago that I finished the trilogy (so long ago it was before I started writing reviews) and to be honest, the finer details of the story have long since vacated my brain. I didn't have to worry though. Stiefvater only mentioned previous events in passing and in general so I didn't get lost.

Stiefvater is a master at description. It's little and often, and when I say often, I mean almost every other line. Usually that would grate on me in one chapter but it didn't. That's because Stiefvater is so incredible at crafting it that you don't realise you're reading description. That's a huge plus for me. I usually tire of description in two sentences. It was always in the perfect place and almost always made me think.

Although I may have forgotten the workings of the trilogy, I was reminded in chapter one why I loved Cole so much. I was so glad to be back with him and I felt the exact same way when Isabel appeared in chapter two. They both felt so real and so complete that they're impossible to fault in my opinion. They might be dramatic at times but it fits and it makes total sense. Cole and Isabel are two of the greatest characters I've ever read due to their complexity and heart. There was so much truth in them, it hurt. I was truly amazed. Awe isn't a strong enough word.

There were so many sarcastic and phenomenal one liners that I wanted to write in my notebook but had to stop myself. I would've filled the thing. I laughed and gasped aloud and lived and breathed with them in California.

I know I'm pretty much fangirling at this point but it was perfection, perfection, perfection! In the most imperfect human way possible.

With lines like this: "I let my gaze eat the world", how did you expect me to put it down?


Evaluation



Overall 10/10



Would I recommend it? Yes. I was blown away.



Would I look up the author? Yes. In the process of buying and reading more Stiefvater.



Sinner was perfection in the most imperfect human way possible.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment