Monday 25 January 2016

Next of Kin - Dan Wells

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Next of Kin is a novella that connects book three of the John Cleaver trilogy, I Don't Want to Kill You, and the first one in the next John Cleaver trilogy - or the fourth book - The Devil's Only Friend.


My Review

First of all it's worth mentioning how much I adored the John Cleaver trilogy. I would've given all three books perfect tens had I been reviewing when I read them but sadly not. When I found out that Wells was writing more and John Cleaver was back, I put all the next books on my to-read list on Goodreads and told my brother right away that this amazing thing was happening!

My review will be like Next of Kin, short and to the point.

I loved Elijah's power and the idea of it! He was a great character I really felt for and his emotions poured into me and I kept turning pages until I was done. I bet no one can read this in any more than one sitting, I just couldn't stop. It was great to be in the mind of a 'demon' for a change and see how they think and feel.

What else can I say? It was flawless. Full of emotion, fantastic human observation, heart, and melancholy.

But there wasn't enough of it! I didn't want it to end! I expected to feel cheated having paid for something that wasn't even 50 pages long but Wells's writing is so fantastic that I didn't.

Next of Kin did what it set out to achieve, it made Devil's Only Friend a must read! Can't wait!


Evaluation

Overall 9/10 - only because it was so short!

Would I recommend it? Yes! It's definitely worth the read before you move on to book four!

Would I look up the author? Yes!


Next of Kin was full of emotion, fantastic human observation, and heart. I can't wait for Devil's Only Friend!


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment