Monday 29 February 2016

The New Hunger - Isaac Marion

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

*Prequel to Warm Bodies*

Julie Grigio and her parents are looking for a new home.

Nora Greene and her brother are looking for food, shelter, and safety.

The dead man is looking for the answers to his many questions.

The three groups must stumble on as looking back and stopping is not an option.


My Review

I was excited and nervous about picking up The New Hunger as I loved Warm Bodies so completely. I was a little scared of my massive expectations.

I shouldn't have been worried as one chapter in, I was hooked. The simplicity of the first chapter drew me in. The dead man's point of view seemed empty and melancholy in only a few paragraphs. I should have remembered how Marion is the king of feeling.

I'm afraid to say that I have almost nothing to write as I couldn't think of a single thing to criticise.

The description was so fantastic I was right there in the moment. Some thoughtful phrases I'd never considered before made me truly enter the world Marion had created. There were some amazing lines that chilled me and made me grip the book tighter, but they were interspersed with lines that would make me laugh, causing me to be constantly on edge. And of course, turning pages.

There's something so horrible and beautiful about prequels because you know exactly how they have to turn out in order for the first book to take place and that horrible foreboding follows you on every page. If anything though, it made me read faster.

The New Hunger is short and easy to read and I didn't want it to be over. It was perfectly crafted. I can't say anything more.

The New Hunger takes my third spot on the Molten Reading Challenge: a book recommended by a friend.
A book recommended by a friend: The New Hunger by Isaac Marion (recommended by Dad)


Evaluation

Overall 10/10

Would I recommend it? Yes, but please read Warm Bodies first.

Would I look up the author? Yes, can't wait for the Warm Bodies sequel The Burning World!


The New Hunger was poignant and full of feeling.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment