Monday 1 August 2016

The Last Star - Rick Yancey

Before you read my review, you should know that The Last Star is the 3rd book in The 5th Wave trilogy (which you should read right now!). You have been warned.

I was half excited and half terrified to read The Last Star. I loved every sentence of this series, and I didn't want it to end. Plus, I knew if I read it, characters were going to die. But I had to brave it. I couldn't put it off any longer, even though I knew it was going to break me.

For some reason, it took me a little longer than normal to get into it. Maybe because I was terrified. But once I got into it, I felt myself reading too fast, but I didn't know how to stop. I did get to a point where I almost put the book down because I knew I was getting closer and closer to the end. I almost put the book down to save it. Almost. But I couldn't. I had to cover the words with my hand until it was time to read them. It was almost impossible to resist the urge to look ahead.

As with the previous two, The Last Star surprised and wowed me with little bits and pieces. Some of the sentences were just so right, they really struck home. As usual, such beautiful observations. Humanity has never been torn down and ripped into its bare basic form as much as it is in The Last Star. It's a masterpiece. Truly.

"No one tells you how close rage is to lust. I mean, the space between molecules is thicker."
As well as the beautiful thoughts and insights into human nature, the narration, as usual, was spot on. I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again, I totally adored Cassie's narration. It's so perfect. She couldn't sound any more real than she already does. And I'm so jealous of Yancey's skill.

The Last Star really is a rollercoaster ride. One minute I was laughing, the next I was trying not to cry. At one point, I had to put the book down to have a little cry. I've cried at many books in my time, but hardly ever have I had to put a book down to do so.

I'm not sure I have enough words to express how phenomenal this series is. There are literally no words for how mind-blowing The Last Star is. It made me think about life, love, fear, hope, faith, humanity. Everything. Like The Infinite Sea before it, this book tore me down and rebuilt me. Better. Stronger. This book did more than keep me entertained for a few hours. This book became me. I can't explain it any other way.
I am Cassie.
I am humanity.

I wanted to weep like a baby when I finished. I need a stronger word than beautiful. But that's all I have. Beautiful. I wrote down three goddamn pages of notes, and it'll never be praise enough.

New favourite book of the year. Dare I say it, new favourite book, period.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

1 comment: