Wednesday 4 January 2017

New Year! Same Goals!

My resolutions are always habits I want to keep up. Too many resolutions fizzle into nothing, when really what you want to do is create a habit. One year I told myself I wasn't going to drink more than two cups of tea in one day for the whole year, and I didn't. But as soon as January 1st came around, I went back to normal. 365 days should set a habit, but don't count on it. So that's why my goals are always the same, or similar. I'm not letting these habits drop.


                                             Read 30 books.
Nothing's changed here. I don't want to push too hard as I know I've got a busy year. But saying that, I don't want to drop my total down, so the goal is to maintain the steady 30-ish books I've managed to read each year for the past three or four years.

Write at least once every week.
I know I tell people to write every day, but in this resolution I specifically mean part of a novel, short story, or blog post. I write every day if you count emails and tweets, but this is a little more specific. Last year I spent a good while not writing anything when I was between projects, and I'm not going to fall into that trap again. It makes starting the next project so much harder.

Write 52 blogs.
Again, this is the same as every year. Even though writing my blog feels like shouting into the void, I want to keep doing it because it keeps me focused. It makes me think about what I'm reading so I can review it. It makes me write about things I've done and notice achievements. And I can't let myself let it go.

Write 2 books and re-write 1 book.
This one is my stretched goal. I usually write two books, and if I'm doing a re-write, I only write one new one. This year I want to write both two new books and re-write an old one. It's going to be tough, but based on the summer of 2016 when I didn't write anything at all, I can do it.



I think the mistake people make with their goals is that they make them too difficult. I'm using this as a way to focus on what I want to achieve in my day-to-day life, and there's nothing on here I can't handle. I don't want to be stressed by my goals, I want to be excited by them. I think we authors put a lot of pressure on ourselves. Don't let it take over your life. It's your life, and they're your stories.

My 2017 is going to be run by me and me alone. And I will smile as I go and read and write and re-write (and edit).

I don't know about you, but I feel good about 2017. Amazing even.

Let's see what's in store :)



Have any writing resolutions? Let me know in the comments!

Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment