Thursday 20 June 2013

#My1stStory


Well, NaNoWriMo says, Molly does.

Today the Wrimos have been asked to share the story of their first story.  Specifically the one that first sparked your imagination.  Now thinking about it, that story never got written.  I immediately assumed it would be the first thing I wrote, but it isn't.

The first story that I ever thought up is a bit incoherent now that I think about it.  It was about people who could turn into phoenixes if they were killed by fire but had unfinished business or something or other.  Their arch enemies were the ice dragons, essentially the same thing but with ice.  These people could turn into phoenixes at will and perks came with this.

Now, I don't really remember what was supposed to happen in this story but I do remember Melody.  Melody - bless her - was my first created character who was all my own.  If you put her in a line up with the main characters from my finished novels - Ali-Rose (Mattie), Felix (The Immorality of Immortality Trilogy), Zane (ZA) and Leanne (I Dare You) - she would look like some sort of genetic experiment.  By that I mean she was never fully formed.  She existed in my head but I never put enough meat on the bones and I knew very little about her.  This was the main issue I had with writing the thing - of which only chapter one ever made it onto paper - there was no character development or interest in the characters at all.  And that was coming from me - the author.  If I wasn't interested why would anyone else be?

Even though the whole experience really didn't lead anywhere it was a lot of fun and it did influence me later to try again.

That's one of the main reasons the book I first wrote and finished - Mattie - was a fanfic, because I knew I had trouble with character development from the above experience.  So in Mattie you have all your familiar Twilight characters, you know the Cullens and Jacob essentially, but also Ali-Rose, my character.  To help me along - I couldn't create her from scratch at this point - I used a lot of my own personality characteristics to help shape her and pull the story forward.

By the time Mattie was complete I felt confident enough to create my own characters and I guess I went a little overboard because still to this day does Playing with Reality (Book One of The Immorality of Immortality Trilogy) have the most characters in it.  It really is like my own little world.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I'm glad my writing used to suck, because you learn more from your mistakes than you ever could do from your successes.

So there you are NaNoWriMo - your wish seems to be my command.

Molly Looby
Author / Editor / Ghost Writer / Writing Coach

Read Mattie here: http://www.movellas.com/en/book/read/201302191833011716

Buy Playing with Reality here:Paperback- http://amzn.to/121GV22  Kindle- http://amzn.to/15mfspQ

Or visit The Immorality of Immortality website:
http://theimmoralityofimmortalitytrilogy.yolasite.com/

Contact me on: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment