Thursday 19 September 2013

Hallowed - Cynthia Hand

'Hallowed' is the second in a trilogy, 'Unearthly' being book number one.  I read them back to back but I've just about managed to separate them in my head.  If you want to read 'Unearthly' you might not want to read this review as I may spoil parts of 'Unearthly for you.  But not 'Hallowed', with that you're safe.  Feel free to read my post on 'Unearthly': http://www.fangsclawsandwings.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/unearthly-cynthia-hand.html


A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book

After not fulfilling her purpose, Clara is on edge, waiting for the repercussions.  But more concerning than waiting to see how it all turns out are the new visions Clara's been having.  But her purpose was over, right?  This could just be a dream.  Something tells her it isn't.


My Review

Everything I loved about 'Unearthly' I loved about 'Hallowed', maybe even more so as I didn't have to get to know any places or characters as I was more than familiar with them to start with as I'd only just put 'Unearthly' down when I picked up 'Hallowed'.

I'm afraid I don't have much to say as this was such a breath-taking sequel.  I hate that I can't fault it but I really can't.  I just devoured it in a day.  Yes, a day.  Well, not twenty-four hours.  It was more like ten, give or take.  All four-hundred pages of it.  I'm telling you, I hardly looked up.  I couldn't, I didn't want to.

Clara as a protagonist, continued to please me.  She didn't do the pathetic 'woe-is-me' thing that is far too common.  She also made very good decisions, again, unlike many teenage fiction protagonists.  She did what anyone would do.

I was so immersed in the story that not only did I feel exactly what Clara felt, but I felt it so strongly it could've been happening to me.  I was tense and teary and jittery.  I laughed and I cried.  I'm deadly serious.

I was also happy with the difference between 'Hallowed' and 'Unearthly'.  The plots were not too samey and we kept learning new things with Clara and meeting new characters.

Also, I had no idea where the plot was going to go at certain points.  Unlike in 'Unearthly' where it was obvious that the climax was going to be the fire in Clara's visions.  This really was a different story entirely.


Evaluation

Plot Idea - 7/10 - I thought new visions might be a bit of old news.  (I was wrong, by the way).

Way Plot Was Pursued - 9/10 - I loved everything I loved before.  I loved Clara's uncertainty.

Characters - 10/10 - he same amazing characters that I loved just as much in their development.  The addition of new characters was just as satisfying.

Style - 9/10 - I was so into Hand's style during 'Hallowed'.  Everything fit into her style, nothing jarred.

Pace - 9/10 - Even better without the need to reintroduce the old characters.  I felt we were even more on the point during 'Hallowed'.


Would I recommend it? - Yes, oh yes.  Loved 'Unearthly'?  What other choice would you have but to read 'Hallowed'?

Would I look up the author? - Yes, most definitely.  Can't wait for the third instalment.


'Hallowed' lived up to 'Unearthly' and maybe even did the impossible.  I think I liked it more.


Anyone else blown away by this trilogy?  Read anything amazing that you just have to shout about?  Let me know!

Molly Looby
Author / Wrimo / Reviewer / Editor / Writing Coach / ZA Ready

Contact me about writing, books, vampires, zombies, werewolves and the like here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment