Thursday 30 January 2014

Rebel Heart - Moria Young

Haven't read 'Blood Red Road' yet?  What're you waiting for?  It's awesome!  Watch out, this review may contain 'Blood Red Rad' spoiler.


A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

After defeating Vicar Pinch, Saba, Lugh, Emmi and Tommo are heading to the Big Water.  And that's where they'll meet Jack.

But it's not that simple.  Traumatised after Epona's death, Saba's not her normal self.  And to top it all off, the Angel of Death has a price on her head.


My Review

'Blood Red Road' was one of my favourite books of 2013, only really being beaten by 'Divergent'.  So I was really excited about reading the second in the 'Dustlands Trilogy' and I wasn't disappointed.  I know many people were but I wasn't one of them.

Although the first part of the book written in third person following Jack did throw me off a bit and took me a while to get into.  But I'm the kind of reader who can't get enough of Jack so I was quite happy learning more about him and seeing what he was up to.  It was a strange kind of way of throwing me back into the series but I think it was clever.  It just made me hungrier for the rest of the novel.

Once back in Saba's first person point of view I was home.  I fell back into I as thought I'd finished 'Blood Red Road' and picked up 'Rebel Heart' straight away.  Saba was a little different this time around but I found that to be realistic.  The things she went through in 'Blood Red Road' would change a person.

My only criticism is that it took a while to get going.  It didn't take forever like far too many books I've read, but compared to the pace of 'Blood Red Road' it was a little slower.  But never fear, once it got going it got going!

There were a few new characters I liked as well as a few of the ones cropping up again.  Young did a good job of reminding me who all the characters were without me consciously being aware that I was being reminded.  And fans of DeMalo (like me) won't be disappointed!  You just wait.

I must dedicate a paragraph to Molly.  I loved her.  She did my name proud just as Molly Weasley in 'Harry Potter' and Molly Hooper in 'Sherlock' have.  The addition of Molly in 'Rebel Heart' made it all the more enjoyable.  She was a no-nonsense, excellent character and I enjoyed every part she was in.  Other than my obvious main character favourites, Molly was the best.

'Rebel Heart' surprised me in places and a little shock is always good.  I'm not surprised nearly enough by YAs anymore so it was awesome.  If you've read 'Rebel Heart' you'll probably know which bit I'm referring to and my question to you is did you expect that?


Evaluation

Plot - 9/10 - heading to the Big Water, another long journey story

Way Plot Was Pursued - 10/10 - liked all the steps on the journey

Characters - 10/10 - go Molly!

Style - 10/10 - love the narration and that it's written in Saba's dialect

Pace - 9/10 - Slower than 'Blood Red Road'


Would I recommend it? - Yes, I'm loving this trilogy

Would I look up the author? - Yes.  I definitely would.


Everything I loved about 'Blood Red Road' I loved about'Rebel Heart'.  Bring on 'Raging Star'!


Molly Looby

Author / Reviewer / Blogger / Editor / Movellian / ZA Ready

No comments:

Post a Comment