Wednesday 22 January 2014

Requiem - Lauren Oliver

This review contains spoilers from 'Delirium' and 'Pandemonium'.  If you're interested in reading the trilogy I would avoid this review.


A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book

Alex is alive.  Just when Lena was trying to move on with Julian.  But there are more important things happening in Lena's world.
A rebellion.


My Review

I enjoyed 'Requiem' more than 'Pandemonium' but again it was no where near meeting the brilliance of 'Delirium'.

Like 'Pandemonium', I felt 'Requiem' had a very slow start.  but not only that, I couldn't understand why it took so long to get going.  I felt that some of the build up was unnecessary.  I just wanted to get to it.  Fast.  Much faster than 'Requiem' allowed.

The dual perspective didn't shock me as a lot of YA novels (including some of mine) use this.  But it did shock me who had the second perspective.  It was a twist on the norm and it was fantastic.

I loved getting some of the old characters back as I missed them so much in 'Pandemonium'.  But I found I  cared less and less for Julian who I never particularly liked in the first place, which probably didn't help.

Again, as always, there were beautiful turns of phrase and description, something I expect with Oliver now.

The ending, once I got there at long last, was excellent.  I felt the sting of betrayal as though it was my own.  I got to the point where I had my hand permanently over my mouth, heart pounding, terrified with every chapter I was going to let characters die by reading but I couldn't put it down.

The final paragraph was one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I've ever come across.  I read it over and over and had to share it with my best friend.  It took my breath away, cleansed my soul and altogether tore me apart.

Unfortunately there was a particularly huge loose end left over that was never resolved.  I was disappointed it wasn't fully solved and felt a little cheated.


Evaluation

Plot - 6/10 - YA fiction's full of rebellions, nothing new here.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 7/10 - The two perspectives were a great new way to look at the world.

Characters - 8/10 - I couldn't have been happier to see the old ones again.

Style -7/10 - Usual Oliver style, no disappointments there.

Pace - 6/10 - too slow, far too slow.


Would I recommend it? - No.  I'm still of the opinion that you should just read 'Delirium' and leave it there.

Would I look up the author? - Yes.  I'm intrigued about the excerpt in the back for Oliver's new book which I will look up.


'Requiem' was okay.  But again, it wasn't 'Delirium'.


Molly Looby
Author / Reviewer / Editor / Movellain / Wrimo / ZA Ready

Contact me about all things book here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment