Monday 12 May 2014

Infinity - Sherrilyn Kenyon

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Nick lives a normal life until his classmates start eating each other.  All of a sudden, pulled into the Dark Hunter universe, Nick realises his world is much larger and more dangerous than he ever imagined.


My Review

I found this book a LONG time ago and I can still remember the drive I had to read it.  I was super excited when I found it again recently on line because back when I first saw it I didn't have enough money to actually buy it.  That was a good sign straight away, after what must've been five years, it still sounded appealing to me.  This was also risky.  Could the book be as good as I expected to be?  For me, it was excellent, but then again it was my type of book through and through.

I don't know how Kenyon did it - maybe she's a genius - but I was with Nick from the first page and anyone who was against him was my enemy.  I was so angry at people for looking down on him because he was poor and from a bad area.  I've never been so angry at a character so quickly before so I immediately knew that Kenyon was doing something right.  Although I was with Nick all the way, I did get tired of his sarcasm and sass as the book went on.  It wasn't enough for me to stop reading, but I sort of wanted him to grow up a bit for the next book.  (I can only hope).  Don't get me wrong, he needed to be like that and it suited him as a character, I think it was just a bit too exaggerated during Infinity.

The other characters were awesome too, but it was a bit too bizarre for me that there were more demons than humans in Infinity - by a long way.  Plus, they all seemed to want something from Nick or wanted Nick himself, some for evil, some for their own gain, some for reasons I can't even remember.  It was very confusing and difficult to remember who was with who.  Saying that though, I did enjoy very much jumping into various characters heads for a page or two, I always came away liking them more.  I suppose that's the beauty of third person that doesn't usually shine through.  Well it did in Infinity.  When Kyrian and Acheron were introduced I knew this was the book for me and at once I expected perfection.

My proofreading/editor did come out a few times while reading Infinity.  A few sentences were left in that I thought didn't add anything and I would've cut.  Also once the character Eric was spelt Erik.  Just the once.  This one is just my personal opinion but other than this one sentence where the characters discuss a phrase with the word infinity in it, there was no reason for the title Infinity.  Same with Twilight if you ask me.  Why was it called that?  I suppose it makes more sense than this book being called Infinity.

What else can I say but this book had everything?  Dark Hunters, zombies (two kinds), vampires, gods, werewolves - everything.  This is my kind of book right here, ladies and gentlemen.  I can't wait to get round to reading book two.  Fair warning though, there are four books to date and I believe Kenyon is writing more (I've done a little research and her series are always HUGE!).  So if you don't want the commitment of a huge long book series, maybe the Chronicles of Nick aren't for you.


Evaluation

Plot - 9/10 - supernatural creatures, awesome.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 9/10 - I liked the jumps of point of view

Characters - 8/10 - loved them all but got a bit confused

Style - 9/10 - loved the way it all came together

Pace - 10/10 - didn't want to put it down


Would I recommend it?  Yes.  If you're looking for a new series packed with supernatural creatures, look no further.

Would I look up the author?  Yes.  I already have.  She has written a LOT of books.


Infinity was an action packed intriguing start to what I hope is going to be an amazing series.


Molly Looby
Author / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment