Sunday 12 July 2015

Dinner With a Vampire - Abigail Gibbs

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

This book is about rowdy vampires. DID NOT FINISH.


My Review

To be honest, I'm so disappointed with this book because picking it up I so wanted it to  be good. And the first chapter was okay and I thought I could get on board but that was impossible.

First, on my copy the words 'The Dark Heroine' are written in huge letters and I only realised the title was actually 'Dinner With a Vampire' when I went on Goodreads. Why the publishers decided to put the series name in huge letters I have no idea.

To start, the first thing that annoyed me was the old adverb nuisance I can't get over. I let Gibbs off for that because a lot of books annoy me with their adverb usage. "slowly, agonizingly slowly" - Doesn't that just irritate you? No? Just me? Okay then.

Also this phrase got to me; "tears unchecked". This was used so many times and it clanged for me at every single use. What's that even supposed to mean?

The room descriptions got old fast, as did the vampire politics and I began to skim over anything that wasn't dialogue about fifty pages in.

Before I get on to freaking KASPER, I must point out that Violet, in grave danger, notices how "staggeringly handsome" he is and has a reaction to it. Twice. She could've been murdered in that second and she knew it but wait, let me just check out this hot guy. Puh-leeease

Plus, just a little note about Kasper's chapters. Were they entirely necessary? I don't think so.

But these little trivial things had nothing on the despicable character, Kasper Varn. Oh you don't know the half of it. Kasper is the vampire prince (of course) and he's handsome (again a given) but he's also the most evil, horrendous character I've read about in a long time. And he's supposed to be the love interest. What? Let me explain.

He can be all those things, of course he can, but Violet would not fall in love with him. No way. Yes, Stockholm Syndrome is a thing but that's having sympathy for your kidnappers, not falling in love with them as the misconception would have you believe. Kasper does nothing but physically hurt her, terrify her and laugh at her. Plus, he even attempts to rape her.

This is romance? I think not.

Violet even sums it up for me!
"Why would I trust you? You kidnapped me! You constantly try to suck my blood!"
Yeah. Nice guy, huh?

At one point he bullies her into saying 'okay' and letting him drink her blood. That is not consent. Consent is 'Yes! I want to do that with you. Yes!' I cannot stress how important that is. And on that note, their relationship is poison. It is NOT 'sexy' and it genuinely terrifies me that people find books like this 'sexy'. You can enjoy these books - who am I to judge? - but please do NOT think this is what relationships are like. PLEASE. 

A final note for you about sexism towards men. Men are not animals, okay? They have feelings and dreams and hopes like females. They are not a ball of animal impulses as Gibbs wants you to believe;"Because no man can control his passions." Do not fall for this lie. It offended me deeply. Let's stop. 

"The sexiest romance you'll read this year" I think not.

Evaluation

Overall 1/10 - DID NOT FINISH

Would I recommend it? No. No way in hell.

Would I look up the author? No. Obviously not.


Dinner With a Vampire pained me on about every level. Did not finish.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment