Monday 27 July 2015

Just One Day - Gayle Forman

Blurb

A whirlwind day in Paris . . .
A chance at true love . . . 
Heartbreak is just around the corner.


My Review

If you don't like gushing, close this window now. I adored Just One Day.

I gave it a go because I loved If I Stay, Forman's most famous book. And also because I liked If I Stay a lot more than I disliked the sequel Where She Went. But Just One Day has been on my shelf so long because of how unhappy I was with Where She Went but I shouldn't have been worried.

I found a lot of myself in the protagonist, Allyson and got excited when she decided to be daring. Because, like her, I wish I could be like that. Just once. This bond I formed with Allyson at the start through Forman's incredible characterisation meant that I felt everything she was feeling so intensely it was like I was there. I squeaked and squealed multiple times and smiled and cried. I fell into this whirlwind journey and didn't want it to end. Forman knows how to capture hearts, oh man don't I know it.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. It was gorgeous start to finish. A masterpiece. So full of truth and humanness that I'm speechless, even here. Beautiful metaphors, observational description and round characters filled Just One Day and I don't know how anyone could put this book down without falling in love, even just a little bit. There's so much to relate to: growing up, finding yourself, being brave, falling in love, enjoying the moment. Ah. I'm sorry. I'm melting. 

Just read it.


Evaluation

Overall 10/10 I cannot fault this book. I'm too in love with it.

Would I recommend it? Yes. If you love romance and travelling, read this.

Would I look up the author? Yes. But I don't have to.


Just One Day was, quite simply, magic.



Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment