Sunday 20 September 2015

Third Circle - Jerry Beckett

Blurb

An old-fashioned adventure set in western Cornwall. A spirit of immense power is seeking to destroy our world. Our last defence lies in the weathered stone circles of Cornwall, but their resilience is failing as they crumble away. Karin is dying from a family sickness. She is healed by having the dried blood of an ancestor bound into her veins. It imbues her with power from the ancient land of Cornwall, and she is shown how to use that power in defence of the stone circles by a mystic called Ambrose Pearce. A local farmer, Jago Struck, is possessed by the spirit. His family has long sought to destroy the stone circles. He kidnaps Karin's brother Denzil in the hope of getting similar power for himself and his master. The evil spirit strives to break through the stone circles that form age-old barriers protecting the land. The circles are weakening, especially the Third Circle at Tregeseal. Karin's power and connection with the land may be the only hope. That hope begins to fail when Denzil enters the battle ... against his sister.


My Review

I found it strange that while reading Third Circle, all I could hear was the Cornish accent Jerry would do whilst reading chapters of this out. I am lucky enough to go to the same writers' club as Jerry and I couldn't help hearing his voice in the dialogue of his characters. I think that's a compliment as it was a while ago that he read chapters of this to us and that proves that something about this story has stayed with me.

I'm also glad that I got to read Third Circle from the beginning at last. I've got to tell you, the whole thing makes a lot more sense if you read it from the start! But the same things shone through as when I first heard chapters: the charm of the story and the characters. It's so rare to find a book so different but this is a great example. 

Third Circle is filled with magic, adventure and a British-ness I couldn't help but love. Plus it has the added bonus of being unlike anything I've ever read before.



Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment