Monday 26 September 2016

The Revenge of Seven - Pittacus Lore


Before you read this review, please note that The Revenge of Seven is book five in the Lorien Legacies series.

I went into this book a little wary because it'd been a year and a half since I finished book four, The Fall of Five. I couldn't really remember what was going on other than the basics, and I was concerned it was going to take me a long time to get into it. Massive credit must go to Lore, as it turned out I hadn't forgotten any of the main characters.

Even though I was thrilled to fall back into the story without much  of a worry, I struggled to get into it. It felt really slow to start, especially because everything is running out of time and some serious battles are about to happen. I just wanted to get on with it. I couldn't help but feel like a lot was saved for the next book as, to be honest, not that much happened in this one. The Revenge of Seven felt a lot shorter and simpler than usual. It didn't feel like it had quite as much plot. Not that there wasn't enough going on -- there was -- but it didn't feel as much as usual. There was less action than usual too, but it was still pretty intense.

Once I got into it, I read huge chunks at a time, and it didn't take me many sittings to devour the whole thing. I even bought the last two books before I finished this one! This series sort of grabbed hold of me when I read I am Number Four, and it hasn't seemed to let go of me since. I still have no idea how the series is going to end, and I love that.

As before, I liked Six's narration the best, and I was disappointed when her chapters were over. Nine and Six are still my favourite characters, but I do love all the Garde. They're all so different from each other, which makes them interesting to read about and kept me turning pages. I have to say though, the human characters didn't grip me nearly as much.

Unfortunately, I've only just finished The 5th Wave trilogy, and as far as alien stories go, I can't help but compare. I know I shouldn't because John and the Garde are awesome and we're not so fussed by the humans in this seires, but I'm afraid the awesomeness of The 5th Wave did make this a little less exciting than it would've been a few months previous.

Even so, I had a wonderful time reading this book, and I can't wait for books six and seven to come through my letter box.

The Revenge of Seven felt like a filler book, but was still intense and gripping!


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

Visit me on Facebook / Twitter LinkedIn / Movellas NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment