Monday 22 May 2017

Voices of YA Tag!



I'm thrilled to have been tagged by bravrayj/Janine in the wonderful Voices of YA Tag which was created by Caitlin Lambert!

Here are my answers to the questions, some of which I found really tricky to answer!



ABOUT THE WRITERS:


What draws you to YA?
YA is my passion. I don't enjoy any other genre as much as I enjoy YA. YA is more exciting and breathtaking and beautiful if you ask me. Everything is so raw and real, and I love that. Plus, in YA there's no fear. You can say whatever you want about whatever you feel and it's okay. That's what's great about being a teenager. You're still working the world out, and no one can tell you what to think or believe. I love that. 

Describe your writing process. Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you?
I tend to have an outline of some kind. I tend to do a lot of background digging of my characters, but with the plot it really depends. Sometimes I know how we get from one thing to the next. Sometimes all I know is how it ends. The only thing that's certain though is that I don't know everything. If I ever plot out every little detail, I won't get past chapter five because I'll be bored. I have to be surprised too!

How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?
I have been writing for almost eight years now! Last year I released my latest novel, ZA, which you can get on Amazon! If all goes to plan, my next book should be out next year.

What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?
Tea. Many, many mugs of it. Everything else depends on what mood I'm in. But I'm always in need of a cup of tea. I also tend to need my latest notebook by my side. I hate having to leave question marks in the manuscript until I can check my notebook!

If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer (other than "don't give up"), what would it be?
Gosh, this is a hard one. I suppose the best piece of advice I have is to write for yourself in the first instance (or for your best friend). Don't think about if anyone will like it. Don't think about if it's any good. The first job you have to do is enjoy it. You can tell if the author hated writing the book, so enjoy it. Everything else can get fixed in editing! Write because you love it and for no other reason.



ABOUT THE BOOKS:

What book still has you reeling from its plot twist? (*no spoilers please*)
I can't actually think of one that I'm still thinking about. I need new plot twists in my life!

What books are you most anticipating for this year?
The Undercurrent by Paula Weston. I love her stuff.
Release by Patrick Ness is also waiting on my shelf. I'm very excited about starting that!

In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise?
More Than This by Patrick Ness is the only book I can think of that was truly unique. I've never read a book with that premise before or since! Go check it out if you haven't read it!

What is your all-time favourite quote from YA lit (I know, I'm cruel)?
This is so hard, but I suppose if I have to pick one right here right now...
"I am not humanity." - The Last Star - Rick Yancey
It doesn't sound as mind-blowing without the context, but when I was reading The Last Star, it knocked my socks off.

What book do you most hope will have a movie adaption?
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I think it might be in talks at the moment. It would be the most amazing film ever if done right. I love Carrie Ryan, especially The Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy, and it would fit a film so well!




I tag India Taylor  and Raimey Gallant

Here are the rules!
  1. Thank the person who tagged you
  2. Link to the original creator
  3. Answer the ten questions
  4. Tag at LEAST TWO other YA writers/bloggers


Thanks again for my tag! 


Molly Looby
Author / Editor in Chief at Molten Publishing / Freelance Editor / Writing Coach / Reviewer / Blogger / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready

molly@moltenpublishing.co.uk

4 comments: