Monday 29 July 2013

Revived - Cat Patrick


A Spoiler Free Bit About the Book
‘Revived’ is the story of Daisy, a girl taking part in a government project.  Daisy is helping them to test a drug called Revive.  Revive can bring you back to life if your body isn’t damaged.  Daisy has been revived five times.  With each ‘revive’ comes a new surname a new town and a new school as no one can know she’s still alive.

My Review

I’d like to start off with the fact that I didn’t have very high expectations of the book.  I bought it because I devoured ‘Forgotten’ Cat Patrick’s debut novel and needed more, even if ‘Revived’ is nothing to do with ‘Forgotten’.  I didn’t think too much to the blurb or the cover or anything but as ‘Forgotten’ was so amazing, I gave it a go. 

I am more than happy to say that within the first few sentences I was proven wrong.  I am also more than happy to say that it was difficult to put down at all.  Usually about half way through a book I won’t be able to put it down but not with ‘Revive’, oh no.  I couldn’t put ‘Revive’ down from page one.  I read the entire thing in three days, bearing in mind I had my own writing to do and other things to do.  If I’d had a free day I’m sure I would’ve read it all.  I believe this because on one of the three days I read just over two-hundred pages.

First of all, the idea.  For not being sold from the blurb, I was surprised by how much I loved it.  I am in awe of Cat Patrick.  She has managed to write two books set in the real world based on ideas I’ve never read anywhere else or seen or even thought myself.  I think that’s what blew me away the most – Patrick’s incredible imagination.   I also liked the way the drug affected the characters, how it changed them, how they viewed it and how their opinions changed as the novel went on and what they believed was challenged.

The main plot was brilliant.  Every time I turned a page I was just thinking, what now?  What now?  What now?  I couldn’t get enough of it.  The idea of the drug makes you curious too.  You want to know how it works and how long it’s been around and what you can be brought back from.  And not to tease you or anything, but the ending of ‘Revive’ was incredible.  I say this because the twist at the end – as there often is – I did not see coming.  I guess I should have and maybe I was just blind to it or reading too fast but I had no idea that it was coming.  I may have even gasped aloud when I read it.

For me, the main plot – which I’ve just said was amazing – was overshadowed by the sub plot.  I can’t tell you what it is because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone but all I will say was that it was beautiful and tasteful and so right.  It was heartbreaking but perfect.
 
Onto my favourite thing in the world: characters.  There was nothing special about these characters in particular but that was the way it was supposed to be (I hope).  Daisy is a normal as a person in her situation could be and I was happy with her decision making and I loved how the character grew with the novel.  The other characters I also understood and empathised with.  I loved the character of Audrey (the best friend) the most but to balance out I’m not sure I liked the character of Matt (the love interest) as much as I was supposed to which was a shame.
 
However, I grew very attached to these characters without even noticing.  That’s probably the best way.  When you find out something new about them and find yourself having a real genuine reaction.  It’s an amazing moment.  Revived’ did have a moment in it that sung out to me and made the tears escape.  When I cry at a book – which doesn’t happen that often – it’s more often than not just a few tears I can wipe away with the back of my hand.  Maybe just two, one from each eye.  Or I well up and sniff and it passes.  With ‘Revived’ there was only one moment that I felt emotional enough to cry but it was crying proper tears.  I had to get up from my chair to get some tissue and blow my nose.  It was worse because I knew it was coming but then when it happened I couldn’t bear it.  Well done, Cat Patrick, well done indeed.

 My only criticism is that the pace was far too quick.  There were paragraph breaks all over the place where so many things were happening apart from each other.  It was good because it made it easy to read but it made the whole book feel breathless, even in places that weren’t supposed to be.  This, I felt, took away from the climax which was exciting but could’ve been more so if the whole novel hadn’t felt like it’d flown past.  It also made me feel as though the climax almost wasn’t important enough – this may in fact just be due to the fact that the sub plot had a huge affect on me, I will admit that.


 Evaluation

Plot Idea – 7/10 – original but not as exciting as other novels I’ve read.  That’s not to say that this is bad.  Not at all.

Way Plot was Pursued – 8/10 – the story was told in such a way I always wanted to know more and read more.  Where it needed to be, it was beautiful.

Characters – 7/10 – understood, cared and wanted to follow them.  I grew attached to them but could’ve been more so.  Also I had trouble liking the love interest the required amount.

Style – 8/10 – easy to read, easy to understand and I always wanted more.  Cat Patrick’s style was my favourite thing about this novel.

 Pace – 7/10 – if it were just a little bit slower it would’ve been perfect for me.  There was no faffing or slow beginning which was great!

Would I recommend it? Yes.  I would recommend it to those looking for a quick easy read but also one that would make them think in places.
Would I look up the author? – reading ‘Revive’ is the outcome of looking up Cat Patrick but since reading ‘Revived’ I’ve found out she’s written another novel which came out this year which has gone straight onto my Amazon wish list.  Yes.

Revived’ was a great novel and worked the teenage audience well.  I’m unsure an adult would enjoy it as much (unless they’re hung up on teen fiction like me – although I won’t call myself an adult ever).  I will say it again, parts of it are beautiful.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have anything to say about ‘Revived’ or Cat Patrick’s debut ‘Forgotten’.  Recommendations are always good too.

Molly Looby

Author / Editor / Ghost Writer / Writing Coach
Got something to say, want me to do some freelance work or perhaps to tell me something I might not know about writing (go on, test me!)?  Emil me on: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment