Monday 8 July 2013

The Sony Young Movellist of the Year Award

I realised as the countdown to the Awards Ceremony continued, that I hadn't yet blogged about my biggest achievement to date.  Unless you want writing a novel in first place at the top of the list.  Straight underneath that is being shortlisted for the Sony Young Movellist of the Year Award.

The Awards Ceremony is a week today and I feel sick every time I think about it.  So far the shortlisted ten have had to answer some questions, create a cover for our novels and create a video to introduce the novel and details like that.  Each time something is asked of us the excitement and the nervousness builds.  I don't really know what to expect.  I just know this time next week I'll be in London in a nice dress trying not to cry the entire time.

Here's a little background information.  Movellas is a writing community and 2013 is the SYMYA's first year.  So I feel even more privileged to be shortlisted right where it all began.  I submitted 'I Dare You' back in February and found out I'd been shortlisted in May.  I must be just as excited now as I was in May.

The prize of winning the SYMYA is a publishing contract with Random House and as each day passes I want it more and more.  Don't get me wrong, being shortlisted alone is amazing.  Winning would be something else.  I just can't help myself.

'I Dare You' is my most recent novel.  I wrote it during NaNoWriMo 2012 (National Novel Writing Month) which takes place in November.  As usual it is a teenage fiction novel, this one being dystopian.  'I Dare You' follows six teenagers who live in Havengore.  Havengore is surrounded by a huge boundary wall that has been there for generations and no one seems to know why.  The main character, Leanne, cannot accept that and has to ask why.  That's all I can tell you without spoilers.  If you'd like to read more about 'I Dare You' the first three chapters are up on the Movellas website.

Stay tuned, the results will be in this time next week!  Wish me luck!

Molly Looby
Author / Editor / Ghost Writer / Writing Coach



Got something to say, want me to do some freelance work or perhaps to tell me something I might not know about writing (go on, test me!)?  Email me on molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment