Thursday 12 December 2013

Unfed - Kirsty McKay

As usual, as this is a sequel, it will contain spoilers from the first book, 'Undead'.  But this review will not contain spoilers from this book, 'Unfed'.


A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

After surviving the zombie attack against all odds, thinking they are safe, Bobby, Alice, Pete and Smitty have to think again.  Bobby wakes up from a coma after the bus crash and is told that it's all over and the zombies were contained.
She knows it's too good to be true.


My Review

I was looking forward to reading this book as last summer I really enjoyed reading 'Undead'.  I couldn't put it down.  Unfortunately, 'Unfed' did not have the same effect on me.  Overall, I was thoroughly disappointed.  It felt repetitive, like I'd read it all before.

The plot in itself wasn't bad.  Like 'Undead' there were zombies and sticky situations.  But I was bored of it.  It didn't help that the characters irritated me - all of them - the entire way through.  I didn't care what happened to them and I didn't connect with them, new or old.  And thinking about it, there wasn't much character development and isn't that what sequels are best at?

Most irritating of all was our protagonist and narrator Bobby.  In 'Undead' the narration entertained me and made me laugh but this time it got old fast.  There are certain things you wouldn't joke about during a zombie Armageddon and it really stuck out when this was the case.  I didn't want to hear what little she mentioned of her family life because why should I give a damn?  There was nothing tying me to her as a character.  In fact, as the novel went on, she became more and more unrelatable

Another issue was that a lot of the time I had no idea what I was supposed to be picturing.  I would read the description again and again and still be none the wiser.  I really struggled to follow it at these points.

To top it all off, there were typos in it too.


Evaluation

Plot Idea - 8/10 - there were zombies in it, a good start.

Way Plot Was Pursued - 6/10 - was repetitive after 'Undead'

Characters - 5/10 - irritated me - a lot.

Style - 5/10 - narration seemed unrealistic, description at times impossible to follow.

Pace - 8/10 - Nothing, wrong with the pace but pulled back by the other issues.


Would I recommend it? - No.  This is one of those books that if someone asks, you tell the to read the first one but not bother past that.

Would I look up the author? - No.  This did it for me.  There are too many good books out there.


'Unfed' showed me that if you succeed once you can't get too comfortable.


Molly Looby

Author / Movellian / Reviewer / Editor / Blogger / Writing Coach / ZA Ready / Wrimo

Contact me about writing, reading, books, vampires, zombies, werewolves and the like here: molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment