Sunday 30 August 2015

Shimmer - Paula Weston

Shimmer is book three in the Rephiam series so Shadow and Haze spoilers might lurk here. Please be warned. Also, go and read Shadow and Haze right this instant! You won't regret it.


A Little Bit of Blurb

Gaby thought her life couldn't get more complicated. She was wrong.


My Review

Okay, readers of my blog will know how much I love this book series. I included it in my 'Books Nobody's Reading That Everyone Should Be Reading' blog. Third place no less. That means these books have done a serious number on my heart. I also want to invite Gaby to 'My YA Imaginary Literary Tea Party'. In fact, I want Gaby to be my best friend. I'm serious.

I wanted to point that out so you know how difficult it is for me to say anything bad about these books but I felt like I should try, you know, for the sake of a review. Okay, here we go . . .

The 'Who's Who' at the beginning made me worry that I wouldn't remember all the characters and how they fit together. After all, there are so many characters in these books and some of them have quite similar names. (Malachi and Micah got me a few times). Unfortunately, I was correct in my worrying. Twenty pages in and I was struggling to get my head round everyone and everything that was going on. And I'm usually really good at remembering characters. I'm such a character person and I felt bad for not remembering everyone. It took a long time but eventaully I got my bearings. With another series I wouldn't have had the patience but I love Gaby so much so . . .

I also struggled with the Sanctuary itself. It's such a huge place with so many different rooms and functions that I had to wing it a bit. I didn't know how things connected or how the place was supposed to look but I didn't care that much. Like I said, I'm all about the characters so I didn't let it bother me that much.

The last thing I could think of to criticise was that Weston describes a lot of smells. Yeah, you can see I'm kinda nit-picking now. I'm not even sure this is a criticsm. I just haven't seen many authors describe smells before and each time it happened I was like "Huh, okay . . .".

But who am I kidding? Of course I loved every page!

Most of the book is one day - actually I think the whole thing is a twenty-four hour period - and that made me feel as exhausted as Gaby but I think that was the desired effect. As an author myself, I know how difficult that is. I couldn't write a book that takes place just over one day! That's such an achievment in my eyes!

I'm so not sorry to be in love with this series. I know it's not perfect, no book is, but I want to know the Rephaim. Each and every one of them. I could read about them all day. The connection I have to these characters is much more important than remembering who exactly was who - of course I remembered my favourites and the main characters. It is rare to be so engrossed by a book that you can't let it out of your sight. I wanted to cry when Gaby did. I laughed with her. I lived her life in Shimmer and that is more incredile than these 'literary masterpieces' you get. Whatever, I like supernatural YA. I love Weston's world and that's all that matters.

Okay, I'm done gushing.

I need the next one!



It's strange to think that by the time this review goes live I will have Burn in my hands. Well, I better! I need it!

Evaluation

Overall 8/10 - but in my heart I wanted to give a 10!

Would I recommend it? Yes. Oh my goodness, yes!

Would I look up the author? Yes but she's not written anything else yet. I'll be waiting for whatever it is though. I need more Weston books in my life!


Shimmer was confusing at times but incredible. I can't get enough of the Rephiam!


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment