Sunday 9 August 2015

The Power of Six - Pittacus Lore

Tread carefully. I am Number Four (Book One) spoilers lie ahead. The Power of Six is the second instalment of the Lorien Legacies Series

A Spoiler Free Bit About The Book

Four, Six and Seven . . . oh and Sam. That's pretty much all you need to know. Oh, and it's awesome!


My Review

At first I was a little disappointed that the narrative wasn't John Smith/Four but that's probably down to the fact I'd only just put I am Number Four down the previous evening. Needless to say, I was delighted when he came back and was into the book at once with his familiar narrative voice.

However, Marina/Seven was also an entertaining and readable narrator and it's so rare that I like two points of view equally. I felt sorry for her and understood where she was coming from. I also enjoyed how Four and Seven were so different from one another while both being Loric.

As before with I am Number Four there were some incredible fight scenes that had me hooked and the intensity didn't let up through the entire thing. That's perhaps my favourite thing about these books. Everything I said about I am Number Four still stands for this book.

Although John, in my opinion, turned into a brat a little bit in The Power of Six. I'll let him off because of Henri but still it was annoying and a couple of times I wanted to shout to him that he was being stupid and a classic teenager. But as I said, it makes sense that his character would act this way so I didn't let myself get too annoyed with it. I just hope he steps it up a notch in book three and gets his act together.

Plus, the whole Sarah-Four-Six-Sam scenario was so obvious and to be honest it made me uncomfortable. These books are so intense and action driven that they don't need these weird romances popping up all over the place. I loved John and Sarah's relationship in I am Number Four, I thought it was a nice touch but that was all. These books are sci-fi at heart, not romantic and that's okay. I just wish Lore hadn't pushed the romance in The Power of Six because it's the one thing letting the book down.

So because of that, this book wasn't quite as good as its predecessor.  


Evaluation

Overall 8/10

Would I recommend it? Yes. Still yes.

Would I look up the author? Yep. Bring on book three!


The Power of Six was excellent but not quite as good as its predecessor.


Molly Looby
Author / Ghostwriter / Editor / Blogger / Reviewer / Wrimo / Movellian / ZA Ready
molly.looby@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment